The essay is defined by Merriam-Webster Dictionary as “a short piece of writing on a particular subject.” There can be many purposes for writing an article. It can be written as a requirement for a college application, or it can be an official entry for a writing contest. It can also be used to convey one’s thoughts or ideas about a particular topic. Notwithstanding these different purposes, an essay always follows substantially the same elemental composition or structure.
What are the primary steps?
You need to know these necessary steps before writing an essay. Make sure that you follow all these steps:
- Choose the topic that you want to highlight in your piece. Remember that this is going to be the substance of the entire write-up. The essay must revolve around the topic selected.
- List the sub-topics for the essay. Sub-topics are what you need to create your format or diagram as to how to should be written. Arranging your thoughts or ideas into an outline is highly recommended.
- Formulate your thesis statement. It must reflect at the beginning of your essay. Introduce your topic in the first paragraph so that people will have an idea of what you are talking about.
- Complete the body of the essay by working on the three essential components simultaneously. First, highlight the main point of the write-up. Second, present the sub-points. Third, elaborate on all the related topics to the sub-points.
- End with a conclusion. An excellent essay always ends with a compelling conclusion that summarizes the point of the entire article into a straightforward
What are the top three things to avoid when completing an essay?
The basic rule is to never assume something without checking into the facts first. Try to verify all claims that you want to present in your essay. Even if you believe that it is already common knowledge, it is still incorrect to presume.
Using slang words
The term “slang” refers merely to an informal language. Take note that these words can only be accepted when communicated to the other person verbally. However, when it comes to articles and essays, slang is entirely unacceptable. Using slang in your materials can make it look unintelligible or cheap.
Using contractions is another way of stripping off the essay of the respect it deserves from the readers. Contractions are also informal and unacceptable in writing. Avoid using the words “gonna,” “wanna,” “gotta” and other related terms.
Writing an essay may be difficult at first, especially if you are clueless on the topic to talk about in the article. Hence, every essay writer is highly encouraged to read more about their subjects and other related items. Make your essay worth reading by the community. To make this happen, just follow the steps presented above. Always keep in mind that no one became an expert essay writer overnight. It requires effort, time and passion. Try practicing until essay writing becomes your craft. As the saying goes, “practice makes perfect.”